To find out if you're a healthy weight for your height, work out your body mass index (BMI).
You can easily check your BMI by using this BMI calculator. A BMI between 18.5 and 24.9 is considered healthy.
The BMI calculator can also be used to check if your child is a healthy weight.
If you or your child are overweight
Weight gain occurs when you regularly eat and drink more calories than you burn through normal bodily functions and physical activity. Read about the hidden causes of weight gain.
Find out more about calories and your weight.
Take action now and start losing weight.
- start the NHS weight loss plan
- sign up for weight loss email support
- start running with Couch to 5K
- try our 12-week fitness plan
- get fit with Strength and Flex
- try our tips to help you lose weight
- learn how to achieve a healthy, balanced diet
- read about walking for health
If you or your child are underweight
Being underweight isn't good for your health either. If you're concerned about yourself or someone else, read our pages on:
- underweight adults
- underweight teen boys
- underweight teen girls
- underweight children aged 6 to 12
- underweight children aged 2 to 5
Page last reviewed: 05/11/2018
Next review due: 05/11/2021