Check a shielding note
Use this service if you've been told to shield because of coronavirus and you need a note for your employer.
Use this service if you are an employer, or from the Department of Work and Pensions, and want to check that a coronavirus (COVID-19) shielding note is valid.
A shielding note is proof an employee is on the shielded patient list and cannot work.
This service will be available for employers to check shielding notes until 1 July 2021.
What you need to know as an employer
You can only use this service to check notes that were issued via the Get a shielding note service.
Employees can get a shielding note if all of these apply:
- they're at high risk from COVID-19 (clinically extremely vulnerable) – they received a letter saying they're high risk
- they live or work in an area where shielding advice is in place
- they cannot work from home or in an area where there’s no shielding advice in place
- they live in England
If an employee was issued a letter or email by the NHS and the Department of Health and Social Care it may not have a reference number on it, but may still be valid.
Use your discretion around the need for medical evidence if an employee has been advised to shield because of COVID-19.
Before you start
To check a shielding note is valid, you need:
- the reference number on the employee’s shielding note
- the employee's date of birth