NHS-funded nursing care
Find out about NHS funding for care by a registered nurse for people who live in a nursing home.
NHS-funded nursing care is when the NHS pays for the nursing care component of nursing home fees. The NHS pays a flat rate directly to the care home towards the cost of this nursing care.
Who is eligible for NHS-funded nursing care?
You may be eligible for NHS-funded nursing care if:
- you're not eligible for NHS continuing healthcare but have been assessed as needing care from a registered nurse
- you live in a nursing home
How will my needs be assessed?
You should be assessed for NHS continuing healthcare before a decision is made about whether you are eligible for NHS-funded nursing care.
Most people don't need a separate assessment for NHS-funded nursing care. However, if you do need an assessment or you haven't already had one, your clinical commissioning group (CCG) can arrange an assessment for you. Find your local CCG.
Outcome of the assessment
If you're eligible for NHS-funded nursing care, the NHS will arrange and fund nursing care provided by registered nurses employed by the care home. Services provided by a registered nurse can include planning, supervising and monitoring nursing and healthcare tasks, as well as direct nursing care.
If you're not eligible for NHS-funded nursing care and you don't agree with the decision about your eligibility, ask your CCG to review the decision.
The cost of NHS-funded nursing care
NHS-funded nursing care is paid at the same rate across England. In April 2021, the rate was set at £187.60 a week (standard rate).
If you moved into a care home before 1 October 2007, and you were on the previous high band, NHS-funded nursing care is paid at a higher rate. In April 2021, the higher rate was set at £258.08 a week. You're entitled to continue on this rate unless:
- you no longer have nursing needs
- you no longer live in a care home that provides nursing
- your nursing needs have reduced and you're no longer eligible for the high band, when you would change to the standard rate of £187.60 a week, or
- you become entitled to NHS continuing healthcare instead