Chipped, broken or cracked tooth
Chipping, breaking or cracking a tooth usually isn't serious. Your dentist will usually be able to treat it.
How to see a dentist in an emergency or out of hours:
- call your dentist – if they're closed, their answerphone may say what to do
If you don't have a dentist or can't get an emergency appointment:
- call 111 – they can advise you what to do
- find a dentist near you – ask for an emergency appointment
You may have to pay for your appointment. Read more about NHS dental charges.
What the dentist will do
Treatments for a chipped, broken or cracked tooth include:
- gluing the fragment of tooth back on
- a filling or a crown (a cap that completely covers the broken tooth)
- root canal treatment for a badly broken tooth where the nerves are exposed
Read more about dental treatments.