Skip to main contentSkip to main content

Benefits if you're under State Pension age

Find out what benefits you're entitled to if you're under State Pension age and have a disability or illness.

You can get a range of benefits if you're between 16 and State Pension age and you have an illness or disability. The extra money can help with the cost of your care.

You can check your State Pension age on GOV.UK.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP is for people between 16 and State Pension age who have a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability. It has replaced the old Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

PIP is made up of 2 parts: a daily living part and a mobility part. Whether you get 1 or both of these and how much you'll get depends on how severely your condition affects you.

It does not matter how much you earn or have in savings.

Find out about PIP on GOV.UK, including how to claim.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit is a weekly payment you can get if either:

  • you're disabled because of an accident at work
  • you have an illness that was caused by work or an employment training scheme

The amount you get depends on your circumstances.

You cannot get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if you were self-employed at the time of the accident.

Find out about Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit on GOV.UK, including how to claim.

Employment and Support Allowance gives you:

  • money to help with living costs if you're unable to work
  • support to get back into work if you're able to

Find out about Employment and Support Allowance on GOV.UK, including how to claim.

Constant Attendance Allowance is a payment for people who are ill or disabled because of specific circumstances.

You can get Constant Attendance Allowance if you receive Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or a War Disablement Pension and you need daily care because of a disability.

How much you get depends on the extent of your disability and the amount of care you need.

If you get Constant Attendance Allowance, you cannot get Attendance Allowance as well. But you may be able to get a top up to Constant Attendance Allowance.

Find out about Constant Attendance Allowance on GOV.UK, including how to claim.

Reduced Earnings Allowance is a payment you can get if you had an accident that happened or a health condition that started before 1 October 1990.

You can get it if you work but you cannot earn as much as you used to because of an accident or illness caused by work.

Find out about Reduced Earnings Allowance on GOV.UK, including how to claim.

Disability premiums are an extra amount added to some benefits.

You can get disability premiums if you're under State Pension age and you're registered blind or you get PIP or Disability Living Allowance or some other benefits.

You do not need to claim a premium if you're eligible. If you get any of these benefits, it will be added automatically:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Housing Benefit

Find out about disability premiums on GOV.UK

If you get PIP and you work, you might also be able to get the disability element of Working Tax Credit. The amount you get depends on how severe your disability is. Call the tax credits helpline on 0345 300 3900 to find out.

You may also be entitled to:

Check what benefits you can get

If you get PIP or another disability-related benefit and you have a carer, they may be able to get Carer's Allowance (on GOV.UK).

Get help and advice

Get benefits advice plus help filling in claim forms, from:

How to challenge a benefit decision

You can challenge a benefit decision if:

  • your benefit payment is stopped
  • your claim for a benefit is refused

Find out about challenging a benefit decision on the Carers UK website.

Open all pages about Social care and support guide