Skip to main contentSkip to main content

Care and support plans

This is a document written by your council and describes the care and support you need.

Care and support plans are for anyone who needs care or cares for someone else.

A care and support plan says:

  • the type of support you need
  • how this support will be given
  • how much money your council will spend on your care

This means you can:

  • stay as independent as possible
  • have as much control over your life as possible
  • do the things you enjoy
  • know what type of care is right for you
  • understand your health condition and care needs better

It also helps your family and friends understand how they can help you.

How to get a care and support plan

First, you'll need to contact social services at your local council.

They'll speak to you about the problems you're having. This is called an assessment.

Afterwards, the support you need is written up as a care and support plan. You should get a copy of this within a few weeks.

There are 2 types of assessment. One is for people who need care and the other is for people who care for someone else.

Read about how to:

What care and support plans include

Care and support plans include:

  • what's important to you
  • what you can do yourself
  • what equipment or care you need
  • what your friends and family think
  • who to contact if you have questions about your care
  • your personal budget and direct payments (this is the weekly amount the council will spend on your care)
  • what care you can get from your local council
  • how and when care will happen

If you're a carer, it will also include:

  • respite care options so you can take a break
  • details of local support groups
  • training, such as how to lift safely

Reviewing your care and support plan

Your care and support plan will be reviewed regularly to see what's working and not working, and if it's still the best support for you.

This usually happens within the first few months of support starting and then once every year.


If at any time you're unhappy with your care, call adult social services at your local council and ask for a review.

If you're not happy with how your assessment or care plan was done, you have a right to complain.

First complain to your local council. It should have a formal complaints procedure on its website.

If you're not happy with the way the council handles your complaint, contact the local government and social care ombudsman. This is an independent person who looks into complaints about organisations.

Open all pages about Social care and support guide