Skip to main contentSkip to main content

Carbon monoxide poisoning


Open all pages about Carbon monoxide poisoning

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, feeling sick, weakness, confusion and shortness of breath.

Carbon monoxide poisoning happens when you breathe in carbon monoxide gas. Carbon monoxide can be made by household appliances, fires and vehicles.

If you think you have carbon monoxide poisoning stop using any appliances that could be causing it, go outside for fresh air and get medical advice.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can be prevented by keeping cooking and heating appliances maintained. You can also get a carbon monoxide alarm.

You may need to go to hospital if you have carbon monoxide poisoning. You may be given oxygen if the level of carbon monoxide in your blood is high.

Carbon monoxide is a gas that can kill if you breathe it in. You can get carbon monoxide poisoning from appliances that burn gas, wood, oil or coal.

Page last reviewed: 01/07/2022
Next review due: 01/07/2025