Skip to main contentSkip to main content

Chipped, broken or cracked tooth

Chipping, breaking or cracking a tooth is usually not serious. A dentist should be able to treat it.


How to see a dentist in an emergency or out of hours:

  • call a dentist – if they're closed, their answerphone may say what to do

If you do not have a dentist or cannot get an emergency appointment:

You may have to pay for your appointment.

Read more about NHS dental charges

Treatments for a chipped, broken or cracked tooth include:

  • gluing the fragment of tooth back on
  • a filling or a crown (a cap that completely covers the broken tooth)
  • root canal treatment for a badly broken tooth where the nerves are exposed

Read more about dental treatments