Food poisoning is rarely serious and usually gets better within a week. You can normally treat yourself or your child at home.
Symptoms of food poisoning include:
The symptoms usually start within a few days of eating the food that caused the infection.
Sometimes they start after a few hours or not for a few weeks.
You can usually treat yourself or your child at home.
The symptoms usually pass within a week.
The most important thing is to have lots of fluids, such as water or squash, to avoid dehydration.
Stay off school or work until you have not been sick or had diarrhoea for at least 2 days.
Food poisoning is caused by eating something that has been contaminated with germs.
This can happen if food:
Any type of food can cause food poisoning.
Food poisoning is usually caused by: