Who can get a free NHS coronavirus (COVID-19) rapid lateral flow test
Find out who can get a free NHS coronavirus (COVID-19) rapid lateral flow test and what to do instead of taking a COVID-19 test.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) tests are no longer free for most people.
Some people can still get free COVID-19 rapid lateral flow tests from the NHS.
You can get free NHS tests if you have a health condition which means you're eligible for COVID-19 treatments.
You may also be able to get free NHS tests if:
- you're going into hospital
- you work in healthcare or adult social care
You should be sent a COVID-19 test to use if you have symptoms.
You can order free NHS tests yourself, if you have not received any tests yet or have used the tests you've been sent.
If you're going into hospital
You may need to get tested if you're due to have surgery or a procedure.
Check the letter your hospital has sent you to find out if you need to take a test or not.
If you work in healthcare or adult social care
If you work in healthcare or adult social care you may be able to get free NHS COVID-19 tests.
It depends on your role and if you have symptoms of COVID-19 or not.
If you work in healthcare or adult social care and cannot get a free NHS COVID-19 test, you can buy rapid lateral flow tests from some pharmacies and retailers, in person or online.
You can get free NHS test kits sent to your home.
If you cannot use the online service to order and you're eligible for free NHS tests, you can call 119 (free from mobiles and landlines).
Lines are open:
- Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
- Saturday 9am to 1pm
- Closed Sunday and bank holidays
119 provides support in 200 languages.
SignVideo is a free online British Sign Language interpreter service for 119.
You’re no longer advised to get tested. Find out:
- what to do if you have COVID-19 symptoms or have tested positive for COVID-19
- what to do if you've been in close contact with someone with COVID-19
- how to avoid catching and spreading COVID-19
If you still want to get tested and you're not eligible for a free NHS test, you must pay for a COVID-19 test yourself.
You can buy rapid lateral flow tests from some pharmacies and retailers, in person or online.
Do not call 119, as you will not be able to get a test this way. You cannot order tests from NHS 111 or 999.
- Scotland – NHS Inform: COVID-19 testing
- Wales – GOV.WALES: Get tested for coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Northern Ireland – nidirect: Coronavirus (COVID-19): testing and stay at home advice