Get your NHS COVID Pass letter
Use this service if you're travelling abroad, or going to an event, and need to get a letter to prove you've had your COVID-19 vaccination.
Use this service to get a letter sent to you in the post showing your coronavirus (COVID-19) status.
There are 2 letters:
- 1 letter is for travel abroad
- 1 letter is for entry to domestic events and venues
You'll be sent the letters you're eligible for. You may be sent a travel letter, a domestic letter or both.
The letters are valid for 30 days. You should get them within 7 working days of the date you ask for them.
You can get a digital NHS COVID Pass to download and print if you prefer.
You can use this service if the following apply:
- you're fully vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine used in the UK
- you had your vaccination in the UK or certain countries abroad
- you’re registered with a GP in England or the Isle of Man
If you're not registered with a GP, you can use this service if you have an NHS number.
If you were vaccinated in Scotland or Wales, you can use this service if you're registered with a GP in England.
If you were vaccinated abroad
If you live in England and had your vaccination abroad in certain countries, you can ask to have this added to your NHS vaccination record. Once it's added you can get an NHS COVID Pass.
To apply for a letter for travel abroad, you need to:
- be 12 or over
- wait 5 days after you're fully vaccinated
Domestic events and venues
To apply for a letter for domestic events and venues, you need to:
- be 18 or over
- wait 2 weeks after you're fully vaccinated
You do not need to show proof of your COVID-19 status for domestic events and venues if you're under 18.
If you're not fully vaccinated, you may be able to get a letter for domestic events and venues if you were vaccinated on a clinical trial, or you have a medical exemption from vaccination or testing.
If you were vaccinated on a clinical trial
If you were vaccinated as part of an official clinical trial in England, your clinical trial site needs to put your vaccination information on the NHS vaccination record.
Some trial sites have done this already, and the rest will do it soon.
Contact your clinical trial site if you cannot get an NHS COVID Pass letter.
If you have a medical exemption
You can apply for an NHS COVID Pass letter if you have a medical exemption from COVID-19 vaccination or testing. You can use this letter for entry to domestic events and venues.
You can apply for your letter once a doctor, clinician or midwife has approved your exemption application.
We'll ask you some questions, so we can look up your vaccination record.
If we can find your vaccination record, we'll send a letter to the address the NHS has for you. This is usually the address you have registered with your GP surgery.
If you're not registered with a GP, this can be the address you give when you use other parts of the NHS, like hospitals.
If you're registered with a GP surgery, check the details they have for you are up to date. You can register with a GP surgery if you do not have one.
You cannot use this service if you have successfully applied for your NHS record to be flagged as sensitive.
Members of the UK armed forces need to visit the 'my health care hub' on the Defence Gateway (login required) to find out how to get their NHS COVID Pass.
You can ask for a letter by calling:
- +44 151 905 0119 if you're abroad (you'll be charged according to your carrier's rates)
- 0808 162 4119 free from any Isle of Man landline or mobile phone (dial the full 11-digit number)
Do not call if you're travelling in more than 4 weeks' time.
Vaccination status in other parts of the UK and the Crown Dependencies
- Northern Ireland – nidirect: COVID certificate for NI residents
- Scotland – NHS Inform: Get a record of your COVID-19 vaccination status
- Wales – Welsh Government: NHS COVID Pass: prove your vaccination status
- Guernsey – GOV.GG: Covid status certificates (vaccine passports)
- Isle of Man – Isle of Man Government: NHS COVID Pass for Isle of Man residents
- Jersey – gov.je: COVID status certification