High cholesterol 2Overview
- High cholesterol is when you have too much of a fatty substance called cholesterol in your blood.
- It’s mainly caused by eating fatty food, not exercising enough, being overweight, smoking and drinking alcohol.
- You can lower your cholesterol by eating healthily and getting more exercise. Some people also need to take medicine.
- Too much cholesterol can block your blood vessels. It makes you more likely to have heart problems or a stroke.
- High cholesterol does not cause symptoms. You can only find out if you have it from a blood test.
There is a separate page about high cholesterol that runs in families (familial hypercholesterolaemia).
Page last reviewed: 25/10/2018
Next review due: 25/10/2018