Skip to main content
Alcohol poisoning

Alcohol poisoning can happen when you drink a lot of alcohol over a short period of time.

Symptoms of alcohol poisoning include confusion, slurred speech, vomiting and loss of co-ordination.

Alcohol poisoning is usually treated in hospital where you'll be closely watched until the alcohol has left your body.

Read more on the NHS website.

Symptoms of alcohol poisoning include confusion, slurred speech, vomiting and loss of co-ordination.

Signs and symptoms of alcohol poisoning

The signs and symptoms of alcohol poisoning include:

In the most severe cases, alcohol poisoning can lead to coma, brain damage and death.

Read more on the NHS website.

Alcohol poisoning is usually treated in hospital where you'll be closely watched until the alcohol has left your body.

Medical treatments

In hospital, the person will be carefully monitored until the alcohol has left their system.

If treatment is required, this may include:

  • inserting a tube into their mouth and windpipe (intubation) to open the airway, remove any blockages and help with breathing
  • fitting an intravenous drip, which goes directly into a vein, to top up their water, blood sugar and vitamin levels
  • fitting a catheter to their bladder to drain urine straight into a bag so they do not wet themselves

Read more on the NHS website.